What is Reside?
Our Reside initiative is designed to create a community renovation project with the specific intention to prevent homelessness by creating new housing options for people at risk of or currently experiencing homelessness. Currently, we are renovating vacant or underutilized spaces such as heritage homes, however, the Reside model can be applied to many different kinds of properties.
By creating long term, affordable housing options and pairing them with community supports to maintain housing, we are creating tangible long-term solutions to the homelessness crisis across Canada.
The Reside model is designed to bring exciting, innovative partnerships together in one clear, cohesive model.
- By working with our partners BuildingUp, Reside creates training and employment opportunities for individuals facing barriers to employment in the trades while renovating each home.
- We have partnered with SHS Consulting and Social Venture Partners to create financial model that will become self-sustainable over time, ultimately eliminating the need for external funders over the next 5 years.
- We have partnered with Endeavour school to train BuildingUp participants in environmentally sound renovation practices while we refurbish each home to be ecologically sustainable.
- Our architectural partner, Hilditch Architecture, to ensure the homes meet heritage designation and accessibility requirements
- For each home we partner with a different local frontline organizations to operate the space and provide housing stability support for the tenants
- Finally, we have partnered with Ryerson’s School of Interior Design to work with the future tenants of each home to ensure it meets their unique needs and truly feels like home
The project at Cedar Mains has been exciting to look forward to through some difficult times in my personal life…
…I am so thankful to have the opportunity to not only learn the trades but to make an impact. After meeting the young ladies that are moving into to the home we’re building, I can see the difference this project will make in their lives. It’s much more than just a house.
– Daniel E, BuildingUp Participant
How to get involved:
We’re always looking for partners to help bring our vision of creating lasting solutions to homelessness to life!
Donate a property:
- your property will be repurposed into affordable rental units for people experiencing homelessness.
- In turn, our property will be regularly cared for, reducing the likelihood of vandalism, squatting, and property damage.
Make a financial contribution:
- Consider donating to our Go Fund Me Campaign, Into My Home.
- Your contribution will help connect youth at risk of homelessness with necessary services and training.
Become a Housing Partner:
- Frontline organizations, across Canada, whom are interested in this homelessness initiative can contact us more about operating a future Reside home
- By partnering with Reside the organization enters into a long term lease agreement with Raising the Roof to operate the space, provide support for tenants and participate in data collection activities
The City of Toronto is very pleased to participate in Raising the Roof’s Reside Program…
We see the Reside Program as an important initiative in creating new community-based housing solutions for youth in Toronto. We are particularly excited that the Reside Program has the potential to be scaled up to provide housing opportunities for vulnerable youth in towns and cities from coast to coast to coast.
– Sean Gadon, Director of Affordable Housing Office, City of Toronto
We couldn’t have achieved some important milestones without our amazing funders: Home Depot Foundation and RBC.
Thanks to them!
To learn more about Reside or to express interest in future opportunities to participate, please contact us at email@example.com or (416)481-1838.