There are over 5,000 people experiencing homelessness in the Greater Toronto Area and nearly 80,000 individuals on affordable housing waiting lists (The Homeless Hub, 2013). With increasing costs of housing development and low vacancy rates in social housing accommodations, we need new models for increasing the housing options attainable for individuals at risk of homelessness.
Our Reside initiative will help individuals at risk of homelessness to elevate themselves out of poverty and gain a renewed sense of self-sufficiency, by providing them with an affordable and supportive housing environment in a repurposed long-term vacant home. The initiative will also help social housing providers reduce the number of households on their waiting lists and expand the local affordable housing stock by making use of idle infrastructure.
The Reside program was developed as an alternative to building our way out of homelessness. The model also:
- Targets rent levels at roughly 60% of CMHC average market rents, making homes affordable to the most vulnerable individuals;
- Reduces costs of affordable housing development by leveraging underutilized assets that exist in every community through a long-term lease arrangement;
- Mitigates risk associated with developing new units, such as costs of below-grade environmental issues;
- Incorporates a Raising the Roof Affordable Housing Fund for future projects; and
- Provides a platform for learning from this model through the development of a toolkit of best practices.
We’re providing an alternative to shelters with affordable supportive housing.
Become a partner in an innovative approach to addressing homelessness.
- We’re always looking for partners to help bring our vision of creating lasting solutions to homelessness to life!
- Your vacant property will be repurposed into affordable rental units for people experiencing homelessness.
- Your property will be regularly cared for, reducing the likelihood of vandalism, squatting, and property damage.
- Your contribution will support our renovation costs for restoring vacant homes.
Your contribution will help connect youth at risk of a Funding homelessness with necessary services and training.
Our amazing Sponsors:
We couldn’t have achieved some important milestones without our amazing sponsors: Home Depot Foundation and RBC.
Youth Career Sponsor:
Thanks to them!
For more information, please contact Michael Braithwaite, CEO, Raising the Roof at firstname.lastname@example.org.