Inspirational and purposeful, our annual National Toque Campaign brings together communities – big and small – in a collective effort to “put a cap” on youth homelessness. Working in tandem with Raising the Roof, each participating community benefits directly from its efforts, financially and through increased visibility. As of June 2011, the Toque Campaign has generated close to $3.3 million in grants, funds that have been used to help support 145 homelessness-serving agencies in 70 communities across Canada. Part of the campaign proceeds also support Raising the Roof’s national Youthworks initiative, which focuses on long-term solutions to youth homelessness.
Our Toque Campaign regional partner Crystal Glass is selling toques at their stores in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. Please see store locator to find a store near you!
Every toque sold supports real solutions at the community agency level. For example:
• 1 toque means an agency can purchase a bus pass or some clothing for one of its youth, so that they can get to an all-important job interview.*
• 10 toques fund the cost of supportive housing for one youth for a week, so that he or she can be
helped to develop life-skills and break away from street culture.*
• For every 200 toques sold, the agency can put a youth through school for a year or connect him or
her to an apprenticeship program for two months.*
• Agencies that participate in the Toque Campaign tell us that they see increased local understanding
and empathy for those who are homeless – an important step towards building supportive local
partnerships and momentum for change.
• Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Foundation reported that the Toque Campaign afforded
them the largest employee engagement opportunity in their history.
• The Toque Campaign has also helped to fund our Youthworks initiative, including research and
development of Youth Homelessness in Canada: The Road to Solutions
* source: past Toque Campaign partner agencies